I have been thinking a lot about boundaries. The ethics code of psychotherapy is to never sleep with your patient. I think that we all enter this profession thinking that we would never do that. But it happens so often. It makes me wonder how one crosses that boundary knowing it is wrong and unethical. I think it probably is no different than when one is married and is unfaithful to their spouse. Or when one is the person who is getting involved with someone in a relationship. Most of think that we would never cross that boundary, that we would never act on a crush or someone we are attracted to when us or them are involved in a relationship. But we do cross boundaries. Human beings do things despite feeling guilty, being aware of consequences etc. I sure hope that I don't come across a patient who would lead me to question myself. I hope I never have to refer a patient to other therapist because they express being interested in more than therapy. And that is what you are supposed to do...some of us won't. Some of us will get involved. And I think the fact is that at some point in our lives we do come across someone that no matter how wrong the relationship may seem, the boundary will be crossed. In my opinion, it is our natural selfishness that let's us do that. Human selfishness can be very powerful. More powerful than guilt. I think many of us will do things in life we said we would NEVER do.
As I am typing this, my professor is showing a list of LPCs that got involved with their patients or did something beyond professional boundaries. And the list IS LONG!!!! Sad...
Progress
16 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment