Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mate selection process

I have always been fascinated by research on mate selection ever since I took Prof. Singh's Motivation course. I keep coming across the topic of mate selection quite often and it amazes me how basic it really is compared to all the made up things people say nowadays. The model I refer to today suggests there are four phases in mate selection:
1. Original attraction 2. Deeper attraction 3. Barriers to break up 4. The "right one" relationship -> marriage.
Reading through each phase leads me to self reflect and in a way disagree with the process this model suggests. Each of these phases suggests specific issues are evaluated and if undesirable results are produced, the relationship may be terminated. For the first two phases, the common reason is alternate attraction. The key for phase 3 is role compatibility and empathy and phase 4 is about commitment escalators. The reason why I might be in disagreement with this particular model is because I find that the key issues this model assigns to each phase are not necessarily addressed in that particular order.
Evolutionarily psychology came up with the most basic explanation for mate selection that I will always refer back to, including the theory on the "golden ratio", waist to hip ratio, and the fact that men really are visual due to their natural instinct for successful reproduction. Women with high cheek bones, full breasts and the desired .7-.8 waist to hip ratio appear to be healthy which makes them more desirable to men. Men, on the other hand, are looked at as providers. Women want to feel safe and they look at how much the man is willing to do for them. It is a simple "breadwinner- breeder" model. When I tell people I am traditional when it comes to family dynamics, I often get looked at funny, like that is something outdated. Well, even today's research shows that that is simply the way mostofus are. So people need to get over it. However, it needs to be mentioned that in no way do I think that only men should work and that women should do all the work at home. I do not see anything wrong with that because to me, staying at home is still work- if you actually do what you are supposed to! But that doesn't mean that women should not get educated and work at least part time. I am of the belief that every infant needs to be with his mom until they turn about one. After that, I think the socialization aspect is needed for both at least on a part time basis and considering the fact that we live in the US, how many of us could actually afford to stay at home until our kids untilthey go to kindergarten? And those that do have the luxury to stay at home beyond that point, they really need to volunteer and contribute to this society. Most likely I will be the working mom, the reason for getting a graduate degree was primarily due to my fear of having to be dependent on someone. Plus, how could I afford private schools for my kids and traveling around the world? Yep, looks like I will be working for a while:-)Despite being a true believer in the traditional mate selection model and roles, the reality is that it is 2010 and now I do live in a "non social system" United States of America. Welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment